The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Fire Ants On Your Newnan Property
April 15, 2022 - Ants
One of the most important reasons to partner with professional pest control in Newnan is to eliminate the threat of fire ants. Unfortunately, these pests are quite prevalent here, and without efficient pest control, they can quickly take over your yard, threatening you, your children, and your pets. Keep reading to learn more about these pests and how Shane’s Pest Solutions can help you safely enjoy your yard once more!
Habits And Behaviors Of Fire Ants
The first step in controlling the population of fire ants on your Newnan property is understanding how they operate. Fire ants in Newnan are known for the following:
- Mounds: Fire ants are known for building massive dirt mounds, in which they make entrances to their nests. The mounds are where the colony congregates, reproduces, and houses their queen.
- Attack: This particular ant species is especially aggressive, much more so than others. If you, your child, or your pet unknowingly wanders too close to them or their mound, they will attack you, with bites happening mostly on your legs and feet.
- Fire ant bites: A not-so-fun fact about fire ants is that they will bite and then use the stinger on their abdomen t make it worse. On top of that double-whammy, fire ants are capable of biting and stinging repeatedly and will continue to do so if you don’t get them off you.
Fire ant bites are the reason for their name; the bites feel like a burning sensation. Unfortunately, children and pets are most at risk for severe attacks, as they are less likely to be able to remove themselves quickly enough.
The Many Reasons Fire Ants Around Your House Can Be Problematic
Fire ants in Newnan can cause severe damage no matter what kind of property they’ve infested. However, if they have started constructing mounds in your yard, you, your family, and your pets are at risk for experiencing multiple, intense bites and stings. Not only are these extremely painful, but some people even have allergic reactions to the bites, which can escalate to anaphylactic shock in some cases. You might think you’re far enough away from a line of crawling fire ants, but if they don’t agree, they will go out of their way to attack you. On more of the nuisance side of things, the mounds will ruin your lawn and make it hard for you to care for your yard.
Five Natural Ways To Prevent Fire Ants From Returning To Your Yard
In the case that you have not experienced an infestation yet, there are some things you can do to prevent them from settling in your yard:
- Organic debris such as logs, stumps, sticks, and leaf litter make great places to hide, so be sure to maintain your yard and clear it of these items regularly.
- Trim back trees and shrubs to keep these plants from brushing up against your house, which will help prevent fire ants from getting into your home. It will also be a way to keep these pests from avoiding the treatments that a professional from Shane’s Pest Operations will spray.
- Rake back mulch and other debris to create a ‘dry zone’ around your home, as fire ants are less likely to cross over these surfaces.
- Be sure to mow your lawn often, which will help make the place less appealing.
- Remove ripe fruit from trees and off the ground. These sweet-smelling fruits attract ants of all kinds, especially fire ants.
There are lots of cheap, over-the-counter pesticides available at local stores; however, they are ineffective, do not attack the infestation at the source, and because of the behavior of fire ants, you are likely to get bit while trying to apply them.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of A Fire Ant Infestation On Your Property
Contact the experts at Shane’s Pest Operations for the best pest control in Newnan! We are a veteran-owned business with nearly a decade’s worth of experience dealing with fire ant populations in Newnan. Our expert technicians provide prompt, professional services and have access to the toughest, most advanced treatments available on the professional market. If you want to get back to enjoying your yard, give us a call today!