Tick Talk: Effective Prevention And Control Strategies For Your Newnan Property
August 15, 2023 - Ticks
Newnan is a charming city with a rich history and beautiful landscapes. While our area offers many outdoor activities, it also comes with ticks, which can pose health risks to you and your family.
At Shane's Pest Control, we have years of experience in Newnan pest control and understand the importance of tick prevention and control for your property. Call us today and let us get to work keeping you, your family, and your pets protected from ticks and the issues they can cause.
Common Types Of Ticks: Identification And Characteristics
In Newnan, several common tick species are of concern due to their potential to transmit diseases to humans and pets. Understanding how to identify ticks and their characteristics is vital for effective control and prevention.
Deer ticks, also known as black-legged ticks, are notorious for transmitting Lyme disease. They are small and reddish-brown in color, with adult females having dark-colored scutum. You will commonly find deer ticks in wooded areas and tall grasses.
The female lone star tick has a single white spot on its back, which gives it its name. Lone star ticks are aggressive feeders and can transmit diseases such as ehrlichiosis, and Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
As the name suggests, American dog ticks are commonly found on dogs and can transmit diseases to pets. They are larger ticks with a reddish-brown color and have distinctive white markings. If you have any questions about ticks or how to identify them, call us today for a free inspection.
Top Tick-borne Diseases: Warning Signs To Watch For
Ticks are more than just a nuisance; they can transmit serious diseases to humans and animals. Some of the top tick-borne diseases in Newnan include:
- Lyme Disease: The bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi transmitted by Deer ticks causes Lyme disease. Early signs of Lyme disease include flu-like symptoms, fever, headache, and a characteristic bull's-eye rash. Lyme disease can lead to more severe complications if left untreated, affecting the joints, heart, and nervous system.
- Ehrlichiosis: Lone star ticks transmit ehrlichiosis and can cause fever, fatigue, muscle aches, and headaches. In severe cases, it can lead to respiratory failure and organ damage.
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF): Both the American dog tick and lone star tick transmit RMSF. It presents with symptoms like fever, headache, and a spotted rash. If not treated promptly, RMSF can be life-threatening.
- Anaplasmosis: Deer ticks can transmit this disease, which presents similar symptoms to RMSF and can also cause death if not treated.
If a tick has bitten you and you are concerned about dangerous tick-borne diseases, contact a medical professional immediately.
Tick Prevention: Remedy Factors That Attract Ticks To Your Property
To keep your Newnan property tick-free, it's essential to take proactive measures to prevent ticks from infesting your surroundings. Some tick prevention tips for your home include:
- Regularly mow your lawn and trim tall grasses to reduce tick habitat.
- Place wood chips or a gravel barrier between your yard and wooded areas to reduce tick migration.
- Clear away leaf litter, brush piles, and any debris that may attract ticks.
- Apply EPA-approved tick repellents to exposed skin and clothing when spending time outdoors.
- After spending time outdoors, check yourself, your family, and your pets for ticks, and promptly remove any ticks you find.
It is also essential to keep your pets up to date on their veterinarian-approved tick prevention medication.
Expert Tick Control Services: Keeping Your Property Tick-Free
While these prevention tips are helpful, ticks can still find their way into your property. That's where Shane's Pest Control comes in. We design our expert Newnan tick control services to target ticks at all stages of their lifecycle, ensuring comprehensive home pest control.
Our technicians will thoroughly inspect your property to identify tick hotspots and potential entry points. Based on our findings, we will implement a tick control plan to eliminate ticks from your surroundings effectively. Our treatments are safe for your family and pets, and we take pride in using environmentally friendly methods. With our tick control services, you can enjoy the outdoors without worrying about tick-borne diseases.